(03) 8605 4874

English Proficiency

Some student visa holders will be required to prove their English language proficiency. There are a number of different ways this can be done.

IELTS – International English Language Testing system:

Use the information that is currently there. Delete the last line which is incomplete.

The IELTS test is by far the most popular and preferred way to evidence English language ability. However there are some other options:

  • Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-Based test (TOEFL iBT)
  • Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic
  • Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) test (also known as Certificate in Advanced English).

The Department of Immigration & Border Protection accepts test results from the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test and the Occupational English Test (OET) taken in any country. The TOEFL Paper-Based Test (TOEFL PBT) is accepted in the following countries where IELTS is not available: Belarus, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Kyrgyzstan, Mali, Moldova, Solomon Islands, Suriname, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Uganda and Uzbekistan.

If you have questions in relation to how you will prove your English language ability, you can chat to us about this during your Skype consultation and we can advise the best test for you to take.