(03) 8605 4874

Post Study Migration Advice

When you come to Australia it is important that you meet the Genuine Temporary Entrant Requirements (GTE). Although students initially intend on coming to Australia and then returning home, often they subsequently decide that they would like to extend their stay after completion of their studies.

There are a number of scenarios that apply to students at the conclusion of their studies:

Extending your stay in Australia – After studying in Australia, student may want to stay longer than originally anticipated. The following options may be available for consideration:

Working Holiday Visa – If you are aged between 18-30 and are from an approved country, you may be able to remain in Australia and work for up to 12 months: http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/visa-options.htm

Gain professional work experience – Engineering, Accounting and computer science graduates may have the ability to complete a professional year program: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/professional-year.htm This is a 12 month program which provides an extra 5 points on the GSM points test (it will help you qualify for a General Skilled Migration visa).

Travel – You may be eligible for a tourist visa if you plan on doing some travel around Australia before you go home.

Apply for Employer Sponsorship – If you have an employer who is prepared to sponsor you for either a temporary or permanent visa (and you meet the skills requirements), this will enable you to remain in Australia to work for your sponsoring employer.

Apply for a Temporary Visa – The skilled – Graduate Temporary visa allows international students to extend their time in Australia after they complete their studies to travel, gain Australian work experience or improve their English language skills.

Apply for General Skilled Migration – for graduates who can meet the GSM points test requirements. Options include both independent and state nominated visa options (both temporary and permanent).

As we all know, plans can change. If you find yourself wanting to extend your stay after completion of your studies, our Registered Migration Agent can discuss your options in detail with you, so that you can make an informed decision on whether to extend your stay, or return home as planned.